Friday 23 September 2011

Some more on sustainability

It seems a lot of you were interested in my post about creating a sustainable wardrobe, and that is encouraging news. The more people I can infiltrate with my green views the better! And the more people you can convince to stop polluting our world with worthless stuff the better.
On that note, I've been reading about this woman who is on a quest to give up plastic- so impressive. She's been almost plastic -free since 2007 and is going strong. I want to do this! Her blog is a  great source of ideas and inspiration but I'm not sure I'm ready yet, especially living in Beirut where going to buy vegetables without plastic bags is apparently insane- a couple of times at the supermarket the bag packers have actually stuffed plastic bags into my reusable bag, this honestly has happened!
However, I am always trying to cut plastics and other harmful chemicals out of my daily life. Recently I have done this by cutting out shampoo. Yes, you read that right, no shampoo on this head. I know it sounds disgusting, and maybe weird, but have you never felt that shampoo is an endless addictive cycle? The more often you wash your hair, the more often you need to? It's all a big scam by those dirty pharmaceutical companies (probably the same ones that ban the import of cheaper aids drugs in Africa in order to hike up the profits on their brand), and multinational cosmetics companies to keep you spending all your money on the "indispensable" products. The thing is they are not indispensable, you don't need them and actually they may cause more harm than good.
One of the obvious drawbacks of using 1000s of bottles of shampoos.
Many shampoos contain parabens (methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben and isobutylparaben), a preservative used in most cosmetic products and some foods, that have been linked to reproductive disorders, hormone imbalances and breast cancer, as well as harming marine life. Another nasty in many of our shampoos and other beauty products are PEGs (polyethylene glycol or ceteareths) "PEGs may be contaminated with measurable amounts of ethylene oxide and 1,4-dioxane. The International Agency for Research on Cancer classifies ethylene oxide as a known human carcinogen and 1,4-dioxane as a possible human carcinogen." (source) This means it is known that these chemicals can have cancer promoting properties. "Fragrance" is another typically misleading and harmful ingredient listed on the back of a lot of our shampoos. According to the Environmental Working Group (an excellent website and source of information on all types of cosmetics products- seriously check it out, its amazing) "Fragrance may include any of 3,163 different chemicals (IFRA 2010), none of which are required to be listed on labels. Fragrance tests reveal an average of 14 hidden compounds per formulation, including potential hormone disruptors and diethyl phthalate, a compound linked to sperm damage (EWG & CSC, 2010)." Companies like Proctor and Gamble (who make Herbal essences, Pantene, Max factor, Aussie) also still test their chemicals on animals. 
Personally, even if these things aren't as bad as some report I don't want to take the risk of putting these anywhere near my skin, which is a pretty absorbing organ. Not only that, but I don't like the thought of supporting these multinational companies that are taking over our world, companies that don't have to answer to anyone and probably have more power than most governments and definitely more money.
So whats the alternative...I'm not suggesting you all go drastic and give up shampoo straight away (although that would be great!) but just understanding what you are buying is important, read the labels! What are all those crazy ingredients listed on a shampoo bottle? If they're are not derived from natural sources, I don't use 'em. But there are shampoos without all these horrible things in them, before I went hardcore I used to use Faith in Nature. and I also tried hand made olive oil soap, but that was too greasy for me.
So shampoo free, how does that work then? Well, now I use baking soda to wash my hair. 
Yep, the stuff you use in cakes. If its safe to put in my tummy then I think its pretty safe for my hair. Baking soda is king in my house, it deodorizes, cleans, de-greases and does a world of other things. All I do is mix it up with some water (about 1 part baking soda to 4 parts water) in a jar and then pour it over my head. It takes a bit of scrubbing its true, it doesn't foam up like shampoo, and you do feel a little bit like you are rubbing sand into your hair-all better than scary chemicals though I think. Once I've rinsed it all out I then give my hair a double rinse with apple cider vinegar diluted with water (about 1 part vinegar to 8 parts water). 
 
This stuff is brilliant! It literally feels like your hair is being softened and conditioned instantly. The smell goes away as soon as your hair dries and isn't that bad anyway, its kind of appley. That's it! No chemicals, all stuff you would eat and soooooooo cheap. No more lining the pockets of corrupt and evil companies who kill the world's natural resources in their quest to get filthy rich and clean shiny hair too. 
It probably needs a brush!
Apparently I get all intense when thinking about hair washing!
One word of warning though, if you do try this, and I really hope some of you take a leap of faith and just have a go, you need to give your hair at least a week or two to adjust. The first little while your hair will probably feel greasy, but that's only because its readjusting and gaining back all the natural oils the chemicals in your shampoos have stripped out. Persevere, I promise you'll have a beautiful mane eventually!



 I'll leave all my other chemical free cosmetics ideas for another post...
Some other reading material:

http://www.safecosmetics.org/article.php?id=221
http://www.terressentials.com/truthaboutparabens.html
http://www.besthealthmag.ca/look-great/beauty/parabens-what-are-they-and-are-they-really-that-bad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Other Posts You Might Like...

Blog Archive